Are you interested in applying for membership of the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (CICES) via the geographical information system (GIS) specialism?
As part of our strategic collaboration with CICES, we’ve helped to update the GIS specialist competencies to reflect changes in the profession.
The revised competencies have been overseen by the CICES GIS Working Group and are structured to reflect the use of GIS throughout the project lifecycle:
- Geospatial data capture and processing in GIS – focuses on the competencies staff need to understand where geospatial data comes from.
• Data management – relates to the robust organisation of GIS data.
• GIS analysis of data – focuses on the competencies required to extract insights from digital data and apply automation.
• Reporting and visualisation – relates to digital cartography and newer forms of interactive multidimensional visualisation.
• GIS software and platforms – focuses on software expertise for desktop, server, cloud and mobile platforms.
• GIS consultancy and advocacy – brings an emphasis to the soft skills required to advise, innovate, coach and inspire.
Applicants working towards CICES technical member and member grades will need to demonstrate experience within these specialist competencies, as well as completing the general and core geospatial competencies. Find out more here.