Delivering sustainable development in the marine environment requires a balance to be achieved between resource use and protection of our seas. Spatial data is increasingly important in such decision making being used for marine planning, conflict management and environmental management.
GeoData’s experienced GIS trainers have teamed up with ABPmer GIS Consultants, who specialise in the coastal and marine sector, to create a course that will provide you with the background and skills necessary to utilise these powerful tools and techniques.
A project showcase, drawn from ABPmer’s portfolio, illustrates how these datasets have been used within GIS to support coastal and marine decision making. The course also considers common problems faced when mapping the coastal and offshore zones (including projections, vertical datums, etc.) and offers a GIS Clinic, where delegates have the opportunity to discuss their own specific issues with the experts.
- Introduction to Coastal and Marine GIS
- Manipulating Coordinate Systems
- Using ArcMap
- Data and Metadata Management Using ArcCatalog
- Handling Tabular Data
- Selections and Queries
- Creating and Editing Layers
- ABPmer Coastal and Marine GIS Data & Project Showcase
- Producing Maps
- GeoProcessing, Analysis and ModelBuilder
- Issues when Mapping the Coastal and Marine Zones
- ABPmer Coastal and Marine GIS Consultancy Exercises
For the complete course description: http://www.geodata.soton.ac.uk/geodata/training/GeoData_IntroCoastalGIS_10.pdf
AGI CPD Points: 12
University of Southampton
Southampton, SO17 1BJ