About the Role
SCISYS have a vacancy for an experienced, GIS Technical Architect to join a team catering to the needs of a variety of public and private sector organisations. This is a hands-on role, so the successful candidate will be expected to be involved in technical solution design and delivery, including creation of prototypes and proof of concepts and the development of GIS software applications. They will also be involved in aspects of sales and pre-sales support, including customer presentations tender preparations and business requirements analysis.
In addition to a background in GIS application software development and excellent knowledge of GIS architectures, with particular expertise in Open Source GIS solutions. The successful candidate should have a good knowledge of database and cloud technologies.
- Working with customers to realise their GIS needs i.e. business and requirements analysis, scope etc.
- Design of GIS systems and act as Design Authority for GIS projects
- Development of proof of concept and demonstrator systems as well as development of GIS software applications
- Pre-sales support, presentations to customers and input into GIS related bids
- Advise on integration of GIS components into mainstream IT systems
- Knowledge of Open Source GIS e.g. GeoServer, PostGIS & PostgreSQL, GeoExt, JQuery
- Experience of the software development lifecycle with demonstrable experience in a number of the following technolgies:
o PostgreSQL / PostGIS
o OpenLayers, GeoNetwork, GeoServer, ESRI ArcGIS 10.x
o Drupal, Geonode, Alfresco
o Cloud hosting technologies - AWS, Azure, Ansible
- Experience of working with UK mapping data e.g. Ordnance Survey MasterMap etc.
- Knowledge of UK, European & Worldwide GIS standards (e.g. OGC, INSPIRE, ISO 19115, ISO 19119).
- Experience of pre-sales support
- Experience of handling complex data
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Postgraduate qualification in GIS or relevant industry experience
Desirable skills - any knowledge or experience of the following:
- In addition to the above knowledge in any of the below would be advantageous:
- Database technologies: Oracle, Oracle Spatial, MangoDB, , PgRouting, MS SQL Server,
- Development Tools: Git, TFS, GitLab CI, Jira
- Applications: MapServer, QGIS Server, Tomcat, Apache, QGIS, ArcGIS Desktop
- Testing framework: Apache JMeter, Junit or other unit test framework
- Experience of cloud hosting technologies i.e. AWS, Azure etc.
- Experience of software engineering methodologies, practises & UML (e.g. Use Cases, Class Diagrams).
- Prepared and willing to work on customer site
- Willing to work on defence projects
- Must be eligible to work in the UK
- Must either have SC clearance or be able to obtain it
- The SCISYS Group is a leading developer of IT services. We develop robust, real-world application solutions and provide supporting services that create real business benefit.
- SCISYS has delivered solutions and services in a range of markets including government, defence, marine, environment and utilities.
- Working for SCISYS is always both challenging and rewarding. Our staff are enthusiastic, self-starters who thrive in a dynamic environment. At all stages of your career you will be responsible for the quality of your work. You should be able to work to deadlines, have good inter-personal skills and be flexible as regards moving from project to project; working on multiple projects simultaneously, and in assimilating new technologies.
For more information and to apply, please visit: https://careers.scisys.co.uk/ .