UK GEMINI (GEo-spatial Metadata INteroperability INitiative) is a specification for a set of metadata elements for describing geospatial data resources. It has been produced and is maintained by the Standards Committee
. It is provided free of charge by the AGI for the benefit of the GI community.
Work started on UK GEMINI 2.3
The AGI Standards Committee had intended to publish version 2.3 of UK GEMINI in early 2016. Due to delays in Europe and the UK, this will now be the first half of 2017. This revision will incorporate material prepared by the UK Location Programme, and currently published at data.gov.uk, and update it for change requests from INSPIRE and other users. AGI is grateful to Defra for funding this work.
For a taste of the new consolidated structure, currently with GEMINI 2.2 content, see restructured GEMINI. The new content will be published under a Creative Commons license.
This will not include any changes related to the publication of ISO 19115-1:2014; GEMINI will remain based on ISO 19115:2003.
Previously, this page mentioned GEMINI 3, but the technical changes to GEMINI are quite minor, and should be backward compatible, so we have decided to call this next release GEMINI 2.3. The INSPIRE profile will contain some new mandatory items, so at some point - under their control - GEMINI 2.2 records will not be acceptable to INSPIRE.
Summary of change requests raised to AGI, other than from INSPIRE
- clear guidance on use of Digital Object Identifiers
- fuller guidance on providing citation details
- clarify the use of ISO 19115’s ‘distribution’ and ‘distributor’ elements
- guidance on using HTTP URIs as key words
- consider the suitability of adopting UK Locations recommendation to use the Eden schemas
A number of change requests were considered by the GEMINI Working Group. The changes are described in this document which you can download:
Summary of December 2013 INSPIRE changes
For information only: this list is copied from the document, but may not be complete! For full details, please see this document which you can download:
- Rewording to make the text clearer,
- Introduction of boxes specifying what is a Requirement, from what is a Recommendation.
- Inclusion of examples of good practice,
- Recommendations on Conformity to include also conformity to INSPIRE Network Service (the recommendation for encoding conformity “not evaluated” has changed from omitting the element to encoding the element with a nilReason)
- Overview table of the elements of metadata for evaluation and use defined in the INSPIRE Implementing Rules for the Interoperability of Spatial Datasets and Services.
2017 INSPIRE changes
For information only: this list is our working summary; the revised INSPIRE technical guidance is at Technical Guidance for INSPIRE metadata; there is a full list of changes near the start of the document.
- metadata for spatial data services
- three additional conditional elements
- theme specific elements
- more use of 'anchors' - language neutral, web-like, identifiers
- change the resource identifier towards a web representation
- clarification of coupled resource, connecting service and dataset
- clarification of conditions
Current version: 2.2, published December 2012
Version 2.2 of UK GEMINI2 includes changes requested by the UK Location Programme Metadata Working Group resulting from the implementation of the national geospatial metadata service.
- UK GEMINI Standard v2.2
- UK GEMINI Standard v2.1
- Guidelines for UK GEMINI Part 1 Introduction
Covers the basics of metadata.
- Guidelines for UK GEMINI Part 2 Creating Metadata using UK GEMINI
Provides a set of detailed guidelines for compiling UK GEMINI metadata elements.
- Guidelines for UK GEMINI Part 3 Metadata Quality
Deals with metadata quality and covers quality evaluation and quality management of metadata including guidance on establishing acceptable quality levels.