Being a member of the AGI’s Council is both enjoyable and rewarding. You have access to opportunities and experience that may not be available during your normal employment, and the satisfaction of knowing that you’re making a significant difference to our industry.
The closing date for the receipt of completed Nomination Forms is 12:00pm on Friday 27 October 2023
About the AGI Council
The AGI is a Company Limited by Guarantee. Its mission is to maximise the use of Geographic Information (GI) for the benefit of citizens, good governance, and commerce.
There are around 15 Council members at any one time, and if you are elected then you will also become a director of the company. You should familiarise yourself and be comfortable with the legal responsibilities of Directorship before standing for election.
The AGI Council is responsible for ensuring that the AGI:
- has a clear vision, mission and strategic objectives
- carries out its operations and governance to the highest possible standards
- has a sound financial strategy
- fulfils its legal and regulatory obligations as a Limited Company
As a Board member you will need to:
- attend board meetings –these are generally held bi-monthly remotely, we aim to meet at least twice a year face to face usually in either London or Southampton. Council meetings usually last a full day. We hold one two-day business planning meeting each year, with the second day being a Saturday. We hold short check in calls between the board meetings to provide a monthly cadence. Papers are circulated in advance of board meetings and Council members are expected to be well prepared before each meeting, so that time can be spent making decisions rather than going over reports
- take responsibility for coordinating specific AGI activities – this may include marketing, communications, organising events, speaking, etc. – according to your skills and capacity
- represent the AGI in a professional capacity – to partners, for example, as well as GI organisations and at industry events
Council members are not paid. However, reasonable expenses incurred in attending AGI Council meetings can be refunded.
Council members are elected for three years, at the end of which they may seek re-election for one further three-year period.
Who are we looking for?
The most important qualities we’re looking for are enthusiasm and commitment! If you want to really make a difference to the GI, then we’d like to hear from you. No other qualifications or previous experience is necessary.
We strive to maintain a balanced, diverse and functional Council. We are always keen to hear from people with a diverse and full range of backgrounds in terms of gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, and disability. Potential skills may include experience in finance, contract management, marketing, events promotion and motivating volunteers. In 2024 there are opportunities to be involved in multiple council roles including roles on our executive committee.
Please bear in mind the following:
- you must not be legally disqualified from being a Company Director
- you must be a member of the AGI
- you must be capable of preparing for and attending all Council meetings, as well as carrying out other tasks that will be agreed with you by the Council.
It takes somewhere around 2 to 3 days each month for a Council Member to fulfil the role (carrying out tasks such as council meetings, meeting sponsors and organising events etc.), so it’s important that you and your employer understand the scope of what’s involved.
Before submitting a nomination form, we recommend that you review the annual accounts, recent council minutes, to understand the scope of our organisation in more depth. You may ask for copies of these documents from email@example.com.
If you’d like to talk informally about standing for Council, or you’d like some help with a nomination, we encourage you to reach out directly to our current members of Council.
Additional information, forms and key dates:
- Further background information about the AGI, available here or please contact the AGI Office.
- The closing date for the receipt of completed Nomination Forms is 12:00pm on Friday 27 October 2023.
- An election, if necessary, will then be held between Monday 6 November and Friday 17 November and results announced on Thursday 30 November.
- The Nomination Form is simple to complete and available to download here.
New Council members will be welcome to attend December AGI Council meeting on the 4 December at the RGS in London.
Thank you for your support.